Sunday 1 April 2012

Spain



Madrid is the capital and largest city of Spain. Its population is about 3.3 million and it's the third biggest city in the EU. Madrid is situated on the Manzanares river. I really like the motto of Madrid: "On water I was built, my walls are made of fire. This is my ensign and escutcheon." As the capital city,  it is the seat of government, residence of the Spanish monarch and political centre of Spain.
The most ancient recorded name of the city "Magerit" comes from the name of a fortress built on the Manzanares River in the 9th century AD, and means "Place of abundant water". I would also like to point out that Madrid is gonna host Summer Olimpycvs in 2020. It's gonna be a great show, I believe.
The postcard shows the Crystal Palace in the Retiro Park. It was built in 1887 to exhibit flora and fauna from the Philippines, but it is currently used for art exhibits.
The postcard was sent by my dear sister. Thanks, sis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment