Sunday 30 September 2012

Indonesia



I thought I had no postcards from Indonesia in my collection, but today, while sorting my postcards and dividing them by countries, I found this reprint that I received as a prize for winning a lottery!
Surabaya, formerly Soerabaja, Soerabaia or Surabaja, is Indonesia's second-largest city with a population of over 2.7 million, and the capital of the province of East Java. It is located on the northern shore of eastern Java at the mouth of the Mas River and along the edge of the Madura Strait. To Indonesians, it is known as "the city of heroes" due to the importance of the Battle of Surbaya a in galvanizing Indonesian and international support for Indonesian independence during the Indonesian National Revolution.
It think this photo was taken at the beggining of the 20th century, but on the back the exact year is not mentioned. Thanks to Dee for this lovely suprise! And I LOVE the cute rabbit stamp! 



No comments:

Post a Comment