Thursday 1 November 2012

Namibia



Here comes one of only a few postcards that I've received from Africa so far. I'm proud of this one bacause Namibia is quiet an achievement for me. But I have to thank to Luk in fact, because if he wasn't travelling to Namibia, I guess I'd never get a card from there. Thanks a bunch!
So, Namibia is a country in southern Africa whose western border is the Atlantic Ocean. Its capital and largest city is Windhoek, with about 250,000 inhabitants. The dry lands of Namibia were inhabited since early times by Bushmen, Damara, and Namaqua, and since about the 14th century AD by immigrating Bantu who came with the Bantu expansion. It became a German Imperial protectorate in 1884 and remained a German colony until the end of World War I. In 1920, the League of Nations mandated the country to South Africa, which imposed its laws and, from 1948, its apartheid policy. It gained independence from South Africa on 21 March 1990, following the Namibian War of Independence.


The card shows the Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world and the largest in Africa, as well as the second most visited tourist attraction in Namibia. It features a gigantic ravine, in total about 160 km long, up to 27 km wide and in places almost 550 meters deep. I see why Luk decided to visit it ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment