Tuesday 4 December 2012

South Africa



I've just realized that this is my first written and stamped postcard sent from South Africa... Hmm, I thought I had at least one card from this country, but I guess I was wrong. However, Vickey sent this card on the 1st November (that's what the mark on the stamps says) and it reached me on Friday, after traveling for almost a month. Few words that I've found on Wikipedia about the Republic of South Africa... South Africa is a country located at the southern tip of Africa. It is divided into nine provinces and has 2,798 kilometers of coastline. To the north lie the neighboring countries of NamibiaBotswana and and Zimbabwe; to the east are Mozambique and Swaziland; while Lesotho is an enclave surrounded by South African territory. South Africa is the 25th largest country in the world by area and the 24th most populous country with over 51 million peopleSouth Africa is ranked sixth out of the world's seventeen megadiverse countries, with more than 20,000 different plants, or about 10% of all the known species of plants on Earth, making it particularly rich in plant biodiversity.
The postcard shows Durban, famous for being the busiest port in South Africa. It is also seen as one of the major centres of tourism because of the city's warm subtropical climate and extensive beach. You can also see the multi-functional Moses Mabhida Stadium with its arch in the foreground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment