Tuesday 19 March 2013

CZ-261429



Whenever I see a castle, I wonder how did the living in there feel like? Can you imagine having the entire palace with numerous rooms? Although many of the castles I've seen on the photos and postcards seem quite "cold", I wouldn't mind living there for a couple of weeks, or months... I'm sharing all of these silly thoughts of mine because of the amazing official postcard I got from the Czech Republic, representing castle Hluboká. There is a short text on the back of the cards that talks about the castle, but as there is no English translation, I had to look for more information on Wikipedia. Here's what I've found... 
Hluboká Castle is considered one of the most beautiful castles of the Czech Republic, the sender of the card, Jitka, also says that it's her favourite as well. Originally dating to gothic period, during its history it was rebuilt several times. It was first expanded during the Renaissance period, then rebuilt into a Baroque castle at the order of Adam Franz von Schwarzenberg in the beginning of the 18th century. It reached its current appearance during the 19th century when Johann Adolf II von Schwarzenberg ordered the reconstruction of the castle in the romantic style of the Windsor Castle. Hluboká Castle is a National Cultural Monument of the Czech Republic.



Thanks a lot to Jitka for the great card!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful card! I'd love to live in a castle for a while too. The idea of having my own letter writing/arts & crafts studio always makes me dream away...

    ReplyDelete