Monday 26 March 2012

Russia, an aurora borealis card


I adore postcards that show Aurora Borealis, also known as the northern lights. This card is unfortunately my only in my Aurora Borealis collection but I plan to collect more of them.
An aurora is a natural light display in the sky particularly in the high latitude regions, caused by the collision of energetic charged particles with atoms in the high altitude atmosphere. It's quiet complicated process, but I I think the result is just gorgeous.
Aurora Borealis or the northern lights was named after the Roman goddess of dawn, Aurora, and the Greek name for the north wind, Boreas, by Pierre Gassendi in 1621. The Europeans in the Middle Ages believed that it's a sign from God.


The card is great, isn't it? Thanks to Yulia who send it to me after tagging me in the "Wonders of nature"  tag. Thanks, Yulia!

No comments:

Post a Comment