Thursday 12 April 2012

Greece



In the morning I was in such a bad mood, and I just wanted to stay in the bed for a whole day, but, unfortunately, it doesn't go like that. After a really tough day in school, the thing that made me happy were five beautiful postcards that I found in my mailbox :) I decided to show you one of them right away.


Santorini is a Greek island situated in the southern Aegean Sea, about 200 kilometers from the Greek mainland. Santorini is in fact what remains after an enormous volcanic explosion that destroyed the earliest settlements, on a formerly single island, and created the current geological caldera.
Santorini is the place where the biggest eruption in recorded history happened, around 3600 years ago. It is called the Minoan or the Thera eruption. The theory says that the eruption may have led indirectly to the collapse of the Minoan civilization on the island of Crete, 110 kilometers to the south, through a gigantic tsunami that it caused. There's also another theory saying that the Thera eruption is the source of the Atlantis legend.
However, talking more recently, there was a major earthquake and a volcanic eruption in 1956 as well. Since then, the vulcano hasn't been active.
A huge thank to Sofia for sending me a nice postcard from Greece. It's my first one from there, so it'll have a special place in my collection for sure. Thank you, Sofia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment