Tuesday 21 May 2013

Sweden



Look what I found in my mailbox today! It's a view from the beautiful island Gotland, located in the Baltic Sea. Gotland is both biggest Swedish island and the biggest island in the Baltic Sea. The population is 57,221,  of which about 22,200 live in Visby, the main town. Visby is considered the best-preserved medieval city in Scandinavia and has been named a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Among the most notable historical remains are the 3.4 km long stone wall called Ringmuren ("the Ring Wall"), shown on the postcard. It is also quite interesting how Visby got its name... The name comes from the Old Norse Vis, (genitive singular of Vi) meaning sacrificial place, and by, meaning "city".




2 comments:

  1. Interesting card! I love to learn by postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning from the cards I get as well :)

    ReplyDelete