Friday 1 June 2012

The USA


Noccalula Falls is the main feature of the Noccalula Falls Park located in Gadsden, Alabama. I like the postcard quiet a lot and the falls seem like an amazing place to relax, but what I found even more interesting is the legend about princess Noccalula, the person the falls were named after. The legend is so interesting that I decided to share it with you . . . According to a a legend, long time ago there lived a great Indian chief whose daughter, Noccalula, was sought by many braves. The wedding day came and a great feast was prepared, but Noccalula was ordered by her father to marry a man she didn't love. Overcome with grief, she quietly slipped away from the merrymaking festivities. She ended her grief in the cold waters of Black Creek.
The bronze statue of princess Noccalula jumping off the cliff was placed near the falls as well. It was, at the time of its creation, the first statue of a person jumping off a cliff and it is also interesting that the bronze used in the statue was made from pennies collected from local school children.
I learned many new stuff thanks to Carey who sent me this postcard and helped me to expand my waterfalls postcard collection. Thanks, Carey! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment